PK - 2nd Assessment Dates & Requirements
5 Required Domains
All Pre-K students MUST be assessed in the following 5 Domains:
- Emergent Literacy: Language and Communication
- Emergent Literacy: Reading
- Emergent Literacy: Writing
- Health and Wellness
If your district uses CIRCLE Progress Monitoring, here are measures to assess in order to meet the 5 required Domains:
- Emergent Literacy: Language and Communication → Rapid Vocabulary
- Emergent Literacy: Reading → Rapid Letter Naming
- Emergent Literacy: Writing → Early Writing Skills Checklist
- Mathematics → All measures within Mathematics
- Health and Wellness → ALL measures within the Social & Emotional Checklist
Commissioner's List of Approved Prekindergarten Assessments
The Commissioner's List of Approved Prekindergarten Assessment Instruments has been approved through SY 2022-2023, and they include:
- CIRCLE Progress Monitoring
- Ready, Set, K!
- Frog Street Assessment
- BASC-3 BESS
- ISIP - Early Reading
For details about publishers, content coverage, format, cost per student, administration, and feasibility of use, click HERE.
Starting in the 2024-2025 SY:
TEA has released a new Commissioner's List of Approved Prekindergarten Assessment Instruments for use during the 2024-2025 through 2026-2027 school years in accordance with Texas Education Code (TEC) §29.169 and 28.006. This list will replace the previous 2017-2022 list and will go into effect starting the 2024-2025 school year.
School districts and open-enrollment charter schools should review and select instruments from the updated 2024-2025 through 2026-2027 Commissioner's List of Approved Prekindergarten Assessment Instruments when planning for the school year 2024-2025 and beyond.
Click the following link for the complete list: